Friday 7 May 2010

'Feed Me With Your Kiss' - My Bloody Valentine (1988)


“Your kiss will set you free”

For 22 years I’ve had a ringing in my left ear. It’s actually more like a high-pitched whistling. It makes it hard to sleep and gets worse when I’m anxious. At first it used to come and go. I’d come back from gigs with my ears whistling and it’d be gone by morning. Most folk I know have had that experience. I didn’t think much of it. And then I went to see My Bloody Valentine at the University of London. In a very small room. Where they played this song, with a 15-minute solo that was basically a wail of feedback. Hmm … this isn’t going to turn out well.

I woke up the next morning and the whistling was still there. And the next day too. After a week I went to the doctor’s. He wasn’t exactly the most sympathetic chap. Tinnitus was a new word to me and I think to him too. I was sitting there explaining the effect it was having on me when suddenly there was a riot of drilling from the roadworks outside. “Don’t worry,” he said. “That’s not your ears.” I never went back.

So kids, today’s post comes with a health warning: look after your ears. I’d like to see that stamped on all gig tickets, ads and posters. My Bloody Valentine has started handing out free ear plugs at shows. I wish more bands would do that. And I certainly wish I’d had some back then.

P.S. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure the next post is a return to the frothier, light-hearted rambling nonsense you’ve come to know and love.

Spotify linky:
My Bloody Valentine – Feed Me With Your Kiss

P.P.S. Turn your speakers/headphones down if you're clicking through to this link, as it starts loud and only gets louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment